Thursday, April 24, 2008

Passer Mortuus Est

As it is April, which is poetry month and the month in which I was born, I thought it fitting to start a blog dedicated to my favorite poems and poets. I thought it would be interesting to get others perspectives on these works too. I have recently been reading the works of Edna St. Vincent Millay, who was introduced to me by my oldest daughter and who I have now found quite interesting to read and so to dedicate the site I share Passer Mortuus Est.

Passer Mortuus Est

Death devours all lovely things:
Lesbia with her sparrow
Shares the darkness - presently
Every bed is narrow.

Unremembered as old rain
Dries the sheer libation;
And the little petulant hand
Is an annotation.

After all, my erstwhile dear,
My no longer cherished,
Need we say it was not love,
Just because it perished?

-Edna St. Vincent Millay


No comments: